- Singaporeans or other nationals intending to take up Singapore citizenship
- Males are required to serve National Service prior to commencement of undergraduate studies.
- Excellent results for GCE ‘A’ Level (minimum 11 academic units), International Baccalaureate (IB), NUS High School diploma, Polytechnic Diploma or equivalent
- Candidates are encouraged to sit for the SAT tests to broaden their choices of institutions where they can pursue their undergraduate education. Although A*STAR does not mandate a minimum SAT score as a qualifying condition for the undergraduate scholarships awarded for studies, applicants are encouraged to submit their SAT scores, if available, to be included in the overall assessment of their applications.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience and notable achievements in science- or math-related projects and activities
For applicants on GCE 'A' Level
- Candidates must offer 11 units or more
- Attained As in three H2 Science or Mathematics subjects
- Demonstrated achievement beyond the above, such as in research or a relevant H3 subject should be highlighted.
- Those without relevant H3 subjects must have As in four H2 Science and Mathematics subjects.
For applicants with International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Obtained at least 39 points including 6,7,7 in higher level for Science and Mathematics subjects (exception will be made if candidate took Further Maths)
- Attained at least 1 bonus point for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge
For applicants with NUS High School of Mathematics and Science Diploma
- Attained subject CAP of 3.60 and above, majoring in at least 3 of the following subjects: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology (one of which must be with Honours)
- Excellent in Advanced Research Project
For applicants with Polytechnic Diploma
- Excellent academic results, at least a Diploma with Merit.
- Demonstrated interest and passion for science-related projects/activities.
For applicants in undergraduate Year 2 & above (Mid-Term NSS(BS))
A*STAR may include additional selection criteria based on prevailing scholarship policies.These policies may be amended from time to time without notice.
- Completed and achieved at least 2 semesters or 1 academic year of graded results upon award of the scholarship
- Enrolled in a top global university, with a minimum GPA of 3.8 for every semester in a US university, or a First Class Honours equivalent for every academic year in a UK university, or equivalent in other countries
Successful candidates will be given support for undergraduate study, comprising*:
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly sustenance allowance
- Annual return airfare
- Pre-studies allowance
Mid-term NSS (BS) awardees will be offered the same terms of support as the direct NSS (BS) scholars from the point of the award, with no retrospective payment.
*Rates/allowances vary according to country and university, and are subject to adjustments by A*STAR from time to time
The scholarship comes with a six-year service commitment comprising:
- A compulsory 1-year research attachment at an A*STAR Research Institute between the BS and PhD studies.
- Five years at A*STAR's Research Institutes upon completion of PhD studies.
*NSS (BS) scholars who have completed their undergraduate studies may be considered for the Duke-NUS GMS MD PhD programme on a highly competitive basis. A*STAR will fund only the PhD phase of the MD-PhD programme, subject to scholars meeting the yearly academic requirements during the MD phase. Interested scholars must notify A*STAR and submit their application to A*GA in advance.
- Scholars shortlisted and approved by the A*STAR interview panel will then apply to GMS for admission. Upon successful completion of the MD/PhD programme and housemanship, scholars may be considered for clinical specialist training in Singapore, subject to their academic performance, aptitude and research needs of A*STAR.
NSS (BS) scholars who wish to pursue other MD-PhD programmes must notify and obtain approval from A*STAR before applying for admission into the programme.
(i) Applicants with GCE 'A' Level/ International Baccalaureate (IB)/ NUS High School of Mathematics and Science Diploma/ Polytechnic Diploma
To apply for NSS (BS), click here.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 31 Mar 2016
(ii) Applicants in undergraduate Year 2 & above (Mid-Term NSS(BS))
To apply for Mid-Term NSS (BS), click here and select ‘Mid-Term NSS (BS) Application’.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 3 months prior to the start of the intended academic year for the scholarship award.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For frequently asked questions, please click here.