National Science Scholarships (BS)
The National Science Scholarships (BS) provides opportunities for undergraduate studies at some of the world’s finest universities in Biomedical Sciences, Physical Sciences and Engineering disciplines. As A*STAR is committed to developing each individual to his fullest potential, the NSS (BS) is the only through-train scholarship in Singapore that grooms young talents for a PhD education, with a chance to work in some of the world’s renowned research institutes and learn from the best scientific minds.
- Singapore citizens or permanent residents intending to take up citizenship
- Excellent results for GCE ‘A’ Level (minimum 11 academic units), International Baccalaureate (IB), NUS High School diploma or equivalent
For Outgoing 'A' Level Curriculum
- Candidates should have at least 4 distinctions in relevant 'A' level subjects and at least 1 'S' paper merit
For candidates from NUS High School of Mathematics and Science
- Attained subject CAP of 3.60 and above, majoring in at least 3 of the following sunjects: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology (one of which must be with Honours)
- Graded at least merit for their final year research project
- Candidates are expected to sit for SATs prior to, or during the course of their application, and score as follows:
- SAT I – 2100 minimum
- SAT II – 1400 minimum
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience and notable achievements in science- or math-related projects and activities.
Successful candidates will be given support for undergraduate study, comprising*:
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly sustenance allowance
- Annual book allowance
- Annual return airfare
- Computer allowance
- Warm clothing allowance and settling-in allowance
*Rates/allowances vary according to country and university, and are subject to adjustments by A*STAR from time to time
The NSS (BS) scholarship comes with a six-year service commitment comprising:
- A compulsory 1-year research attachment* at an A*STAR Research Institute between the BS and PhD studies.
- Five years at A*STAR's Research Institutes upon completion of PhD studies.
*NSS(BS) scholars who have completed their undergraduate studies may be considered for the Duke-NUS GMS MD-PhD programme on a highly competitive basis. A*STAR will fund only the PhD phase of the MD-PhD programme, subject to scholars meeting the yearly academic requirements during the MD phase.
Interested scholars must notify A*STAR and submit their application to A*GA before 30 September 2008, for the August 2009 intake. Scholars shortlisted and approved by the A*STAR interview panel will then apply to GMS for admission.
Upon successful completion of the MD/PhD programme and housemanship, scholars may be considered for clinical specialist training in Singapore, subject to their academic performance, aptitude and research needs of A*STAR. NSS(BS) scholars who wish to pursue other MD-PhD programmes must notify and obtain approval from A*STAR before applying for admission into the programme.
To apply for NSS (BS), click here to find the application form.
Please submit application form with supporting documents by post to:
A*STAR Graduate Academy
Agency for Science, Technology and Research
20 Biopolis Way, #07-01 Centros
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Application for NSS (BS) this year has closed since 12 April 2009.
Email A*GA Scholarship Officers:
- Cheryl Wong
- Felicia Goh
- Sharon Koh
- Victoria Poon
Back to Top
Last Updated on 14 August 2009