ZWEEC Analytics develops intelligent water monitoring system using fish activity that saves manpower and operational costs
1. Singapore, 5 July 2012 – ZWEEC Analytics (pronounced “Zz-Week”), a homegrown SME that creates integrated solutions for various industries and applications, collaborated with I2R and PUB on the development of the intelligent water quality monitoring system known as Fish Activity Monitoring System (FAMS). FAMS was presented with the Honour Award for Applied Research at the 2012 International Water Association (IWA) Asia Pacific Regional Project Innovation Awards (PIA) on 3 July 2012. The PIA is a prestigious global competition which recognizes and celebrates innovation and excellence in water engineering projects around the world.
2. One of the ways Singapore monitor the quality of its water supply is to observe the behavior of fresh water fishes placed inside tanks containing water samples collected daily from different reservoirs and waterways across the island. This human observation process can be a laborious process, as well as subjected to differing opinions on the behavior of the fishes. ZWEEC Analytics has developed a system which can automatically monitor and analyse swimming patterns and activities of fishes to determine if further checks on water quality are needed. With a camera monitoring each tank of 20 fishes linked to ZWEEC’s system, it can pick up any signs of distress from fishes, which may indicate irregularity in water quality. If the system detects half the school dying, a water sample will be automatically collected for further analysis and a warning alert sent to staff for immediate human intervention.
3. In Singapore, this system has been adopted by the country’s national water agency, PUB, to monitor water quality in various important locations such as service reservoirs and waterworks. ZWEEC Analytics’ FAMS can be located in remote locations and the data can be sent for monitoring at a centralised control centre. The system is already reeling in overseas business contracts of up to $7 million for ZWEEC Analytics over the next 3 to 5 years and the company expects more interested parties from the region to use the system. Potential customers include large corporations and governments in the region.
4. ZWEEC Analytics’ success in bringing in overseas deals was made possible with technical expertise from I2R. The research institute, in close partnership with A*STAR’s technology transfer arm, Exploit Technologies, has been providing support to numerous local SMEs which provide value-added products and solutions for the local markets as early adopters. The technologies give these SMEs a sustainable competitive edge over the rest and enable them to break into the international market successfully. Please see Annex A for a simplified diagram on I2R’s technology and knowledge transfer to ZWEEC Analytics.
5. Mr Liaw Kok Eng, Chief Executive Officer of ZWEEC Analytics said. “I2R played an important role to where FAMS has reached today through our close working partnership. I hope this partnership will be exemplary to more SMEs in Singapore.”
6. Dr. Tan Geok Leng, Acting Executive Director of I2R said, “I2R is delighted with FAMS’ success in water quality monitoring locally and internationally. This is a testament of how I2R’s technologies are enabling local SMEs to provide innovative solutions that meet or even exceed the evolving needs of the industry. FAMS’ winning of the Honour award in Applied Research at the 2012 International Water Association (IWA) Asia Pacific Regional Project Innovation Awards (PIA) is indeed encouraging and we hope to see more of these SMEs that work with I2R to be as successful as well.”
7. FAMS will be at the Singapore International Water Week (SIWW) on 1st to 5th July 2012 at the Sands Expo and Convention Centre at Marina Bay Sands.
For more information, please contact:
Ms Doris Yang
Institute for Infocomm Research
DID: (65) 6419 6525
About ZWEEC Analytics Pte Ltd (ZWEEC)
ZWEEC Analytics is a recently set up technology-based company that leverages on technologies from Institute for Infocomm Research (I2
R), A*STAR. It is also a licensee for a few technologies from A*STAR. ZWEEC comprises of a team of video analytics experts, a dedicated engineering support team and industry veterans with a track record of delivering on operational performance and shareholder value. It is establishing itself as a leading video / imaging and data analytics solutions company to create integrated solutions for various industries and applications. For more information about ZWEEC, please visit www.zweec.com.
About Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R)
The Institute for Infocomm Research (I²R pronounced as i-squared-r) is a member of the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) family. Established in 2002, our mission is to be the globally preferred source of innovations in `Interactive Secured Information, Content and Services Anytime Anywhere’ through research by passionate people dedicated to Singapore’s economic success. I²R performs R&D in information, communications and media (ICM) technologies to develop holistic solutions across the ICM value chain. Our research capabilities are in information technology, wireless and optical communication networks, interactive and digital media, signal processing and computing. We seek to be the infocomm and media value creator that keeps Singapore ahead. For more information about I2
R, please visit www.i2r.a-star.edu.sg.
About the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR)
The Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) is the lead agency for fostering world-class scientific research and talent for a vibrant knowledge-based and innovation-driven Singapore. A*STAR oversees 14 biomedical sciences and physical sciences and engineering research institutes, and six consortia & centres, located in Biopolis and Fusionopolis as well as their immediate vicinity. A*STAR supports Singapore's key economic clusters by providing intellectual, human and industrial capital to its partners in industry. It also supports extramural research in the universities, and with other local and international partners. For more information about A*STAR, please visit www.a-star.edu.sg.