The Institute of Microelectronics (IME), is a research institute of the Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC), Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR). Founded in 1991 as one of the institutes for research in advanced engineering, IME aims to enhance the value-add of the microelectronics industry in Singapore by undertaking core R&D in microelectronics, supporting the R&D needs in the industry and developing skilled R&D personnel.
IME has effectively built strong capabilities in integrated circuits design, silicon process technologies, advanced packaging and reliability testing. These deep capabilities provide the core infrastructure for a cross-disciplinary approach to our R&D programmes in these fields:
- Bioelectronics (BE)
- Gallium Nitride on Silicon (GaN-on-Si)
- Integrated Circuits and Systems (ICS)
- Interconnect and Packaging (IPP)
- Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS)
- Miniaturised Medical Devices (MMD)
- Nano Electronics (NanoE)
- Nano Photonics (NanoP)
- 3D IC Through-Silicon-Via/Through-Silicon-Interposer (3D IC TSV/TSI)
- Sensors and Actuators Microsystem (SAM)
- Rugged Electronics (RgE)
Our state-of-the-art facilities are designed to foster our research to provide best-in-class science and engineering expertise to our partners. The facilities are housed within IME and comprise of:
- A fully-integrated line of 300mm manufacturing systems in a 14,000 square feet Class-10 cleanroom which also incorporates the AMAT-IME Centre of Excellence. This facility supports the research and development of 3D chip packaging and wafer level packaging.
- Advanced packaging lab that includes advanced 200mm and 300mm equipment - backgrinder, fine pitch wire bonder for copper wire bonding, wafer level compression mold press, solder jetter and flip chip bonder for chip-to-chip and chip-to-wafer bonding, for development of process technologies in wire bond packaging, flip chip packaging and wafer level packaging.
- Integrated circuit design lab with industry standard CAD tools for RF, analog, mixed-signal and digital circuits designs, and test and measurement equipment.
- High-frequency device characterization lab featuring 110GHz characterization equipment with 300mm wafer prober.
- Optoelectronics and photonics lab equipped with nanophotonics and electron microscopy, spectroscopy, laser systems, wavemeter system, Digitizing Oscilloscope, femtochrome autocorrelator, near field scanning optical microscope, spectrometer and materials characterization set-ups for ≥10Gb/s testing.
- Bioelectronics lab which includes state-of-the-art molecular biology equipment tailored for DNA and protein work which is carried out as part of our research programmes-PCR cyclers, centrifuges, agarose and polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, fluorescent microscopy, micro-reflux apparatus, dielectrophoresis equipment, confocal microscopy and AFM imaging, and electrochemistry setups.
Building a Strong Microelectronics Knowledge Base
IME actively grooms talents to build a strong microelectronics knowledge base in Singapore. We work closely with the local universities and polytechnics to provide student attachment opportunities. Numerous research collaborations have been established between IME, universities and industry partners to provide training and development for the next generation of scientists and engineers, to ensure a pool of high quality R&D researchers are accessible to the electronics industries in Singapore.
We have close to 350 employees of which:
- 86% are directly involved in R&D
- 53% have either a PhD or a Masters degree
- More than 90 international researchers from 22 countries
Collaborating with Industry Partners
IME provides support to the industry via a multi-pronged approach. Companies undertaking R&D can explore expanding their scope and reach of projects by collaborating with IME in joint projects or tap on our resources in the following services:
IME received ISO 9001 certification in 1996 for all R&D activities across the whole Institute. Qualification for ISO 13485 was also awarded to IME in 2011 to offer R&D services to the medical devices industry.