EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR'S MESSAGE
The Singapore Bioimaging Consortium (SBIC) is one of the 10 research institutes of the Biomedical Research Council under the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) in Singapore. SBIC is located on 4 levels of the Helios building, in the heart of Biopolis, Singapore’s premier international Research and Development hub for Biomedical Sciences.
SBIC is a leading preclinical bio-imaging platform in Asia and in the world characterized by:
• Scientific and academic excellence
• Efficient integration and promotion of collaborations among A-STAR institutes and other partners in Singapore
• High societal impact (healthcare improvement, cost containment …) with rapid bench-to-bedside transfers in collaboration with the clinical community
• Close interface with the industrial sector and successful commercialization of know-how, ensuring financial sustainability/profitability
• Ability to capture economic opportunities in order to create value, including with the creation of new enterprises
• Ability to attract, develop and retain talents in basic and applied research and related businesses.
Imaging Today the Medicine of Tomorrow
As a research institute, with a multidisciplinary team of biologists, physiologists, chemists, physicists, electrical/electronic engineers, computer scientists, and clinicians, SBIC investigates human diseases which are major public health issues using molecular physiology and advanced bioimaging tools, in a translational and pivotal mode with the medical community and industrial partners (MNCs and SMEs). SBIC also works on strategic bioimaging projects, including the development of novel imaging probes.
In order to reach its R&D objectives, SBIC has built a competitive state-of-the-art multimodal bioimaging platform comprising 3 laboratories all located in the Helios Building in Biopolis:
• Laboratory of Molecular Imaging (LMI) with all modalities of In vitro and in vivo cellular imaging (optical imaging, MR spectroscopy and imaging, C-13 hyperpolarization, micro CT, nanoSPECT, microPET, MR-PET, NIRS-MRI, signal and image processing and analysis)
• Laboratory of Metabolic Medicine (LMM) for molecular physiology and metabolic phenotyping
• Laboratory of Molecular Chemistry (LMC) for the development of chemical / biological probes, with advanced fluoresence chemistry and radiochemistry capabilities.
In addition, SBIC operates a 3T-MRI suite dedicated to large animal imaging located in the Biological Resource Center (BRC), the central animal handling facility of Biopolis.
As a national consortium, SBIC aims to harness existing imaging expertise and capabilities in Singapore, bringing together substantial strengths in the physical sciences and engineering with those in the biomedical and clinical sciences. Through an array of focused collaborations and joint appointments, SBIC fosters and supports the growth of multidisciplinary research activities in the field of bioimaging across local research institutes, universities and hospitals, in order to accelerate the development of biomedical research discoveries. This is illustrated by SBIC active participation in several national research initiatives across all Singaporeans institutions, such as the GUSTO (Growing Up in Singapore Towards a healthy Outcome) and the ATTRaCT (Asian neTwork for Translational Research and Cardiovascular Trials) projects.
View Our Partnerships
View Our Joint Labs
Professor Patrick J. Cozzone