Powder Metallurgy (PM) and Powder Injection Moulding (PIM) are a vital, growing part of the modern global economy for the net- and near-net shape manufacturing of quality metal and ceramic parts in precision engineering, consumer goods, transportation, healthcare, defence, and aerospace. In this course, the participant will learn the basic principles and practical techniques related to PM and PIM covering issues related to materials, processing steps, design, quality assurance, engineering properties and costs.
1. Powder and its production and characteristics; techniques of powder characterisation
2. Basic principles, material issues, equipment and techniques related to mixing, compaction and sintering processes of PM and PIM
3. Capability and limitations of PM and PIM
4. Alternate powder-based processes and advanced processes
5. Selection of secondary processes for obtaining desired final properties in PM and PIM components
6. Property evaluation of PM and PIM components
7. Materials selection and design guideline primer for PM and PIM component
8. Comparison of PM/PIM to other competing technologies and review the economical advantages of PM/PIM
Who Should Attend
Technologists, designers, engineers, executives, assistant managers and managers from the precision engineering, electronics, automotive, and aerospace industries.
The course leaders are a team of SIMTech researchers specialising in processing of particulate materials. The team has a strong working relationship with companies (both local and industry) and academia on the material development and processing of particulate material of most metallic and alloy materials and ceramic for applications in precision engineering, environmental, energy, electronic and medical devices. High-performance ceramic, porous scaffold, filter dental product, capillary wire, microfluidic component, electrode, cutting blade are among some of the products jointly developed with company and university/institutions.
Pre-registration for the course is necessary. Please register online or click here for the registration form. Fee is inclusive of course material, buffet dinner (halal) and refreshments.
30 Jun 2009
S$2000 (exclusive of GST). For Singaporeans and PRs, 90% subsidy may be applied from WDA.
Course Content Enquiry
Please contact Dr Tay Bee Yen at 6793 3545 (email bytay@SIMTech.a-star.edu.sg) or Miss Lim Poon Nian at 6793 8554 (email: pnlim@SIMTech.a-star.edu.sg) for more details.
About PE WSQ Specialist Diploma
The PE WSQ Specialist Diploma is a joint initiative by the Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SIMTech) and the Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA) to provide hands-on training to equip future PE professionals in cutting-edge precision manufacturing, machining and laser processing technologies.
This programme will be conducted through a series of lectures, lab demonstrations and project attachments in selected industrial applications. It aims to equip workers in the PE industry towards higher-value manufacturing activities.