Laser Aided Additive Manufacturing (LAAM)
LAAM is an additive manufacturing process which utilizes high energy laser beam for material deposition. It enables surface modification, repair and 3D additive manufacturing with high flexibility. Due to the good focusability of the laser beam and precise control of the heat input, the LAAM process can achieve refined grain size, tailored microstructure which result in excellent mechanical properties, wear and corrosion resistance.
Robotic LAAM system developed by SIMTech
Contact PersonBi Guijun(gjbi@SIMTech.a-star.edu.sg)
SIMTech has developed several robotized and CNC-based LAAM systems for the R&D and industrial applications. SIMTech’s capabilities cover system development, material and process development, metallurgical & mechanical testing, process simulation & monitoring, as well as 3D LAAM. Materials range from ferrous to non-ferrous alloys, such as HSLA steels, stainless steels, Al-alloys, Ti-alloys, Cu-alloys, Ni-alloys, Co-alloys, as well as metal matrix composites.
LAAM process and achieved, tensile properties and 3D aerofoil structure
Repair of turbocharger component
The key advantages of this technology include:
- Direct manufacturing with the aid of CAD/CAM
- High precision of deposited material in terms of geometry and dimension
- High Automation level
- Precise control of heat-input, solidification conditions
- Tailored micro-structure and excellent material properties
- Reduced manufacturing time and material waste
- Reduce down time and heavy capital expenditures for the replacement with new parts
SIMTech has strong expertise in development and customization of LAAM system, process development for difficult-to-process materials, modification of additive materials, and characterization of the material properties, to provide turn-key solution to customers.
Patents / Awards / Achievements / Differentiation
- Powder Feeding Nozzle and Process for Laser Aided Additive Manufacturing, Singapore Patent No. 189649
- Design and Fabrication of the Embedded High Aspect Ratio Channels and Cavities, Singapore Patent Application No. 10201506744P
- S. H. Mok, G. Bi, J. Folkes, I. Pashby: Deposition of Ti–6Al–4V Using a High Power Diode Laser and Wire, Part I: Investigation on the Process Characteristics, Surface and Coatings Technology, 2008, Vol. 202 (16), 3933-3939
- S. H. Mok, G. Bi, J. Folkes, I. Pashby, J. Segal: Deposition of Ti–6Al–4V Using a High Power Diode Laser and Wire, Part II: Investigation on the Mechanical Properties, Surface and Coatings Technology, 2008, Vol. 202 (19), 4613-4619
- G. Bi, A. Gasser: Restoration of Nickel-base Turbine Blade Knife-edges with Controlled Laser Aided Additive Manufacturing, Physics Procedia, 2011, Vol. 12, 402-409
- G. Bi, C. N. Sun, M. L. Nai, J. Wei: Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Nano-TiC Reinforced Inconel 625 Deposited Using LAAM, Physics Procedia, 2013, Vol. 41, 828-834
- G. Bi, C. N. Sun, A. Gasser: Study on Influential Factors for Process Monitoring and Control in Laser Aided Additive Manufacturing, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2013, Vol. 213 (3), 463-468
- G. Bi, C. N. Sun, H. C. Chen, F. L. Ng, C. C. K. Ma: Microstructure and Tensile Properties of Superalloy IN100 Fabricated by Micro-Laser Aided Additive Manufacturing, Materials & Design, 2014, Vol. 60, 401-408
- G. J. Bi,H. C. Chen,B. Y. Lee,B. S. Lim,J. Wei: Deposition of Corrosion Resistant Alloy onto Low Alloyed Steel using LAAM for Oil & Gas Applications, Laser in Manufacturing (LiM), 06/2015, Munich, Germany
- Y. X. Chew, H. L. Pang, G. Bi, B. Song: Thermo-mechanical Model for Simulating Laser Cladding Induced Residual Stresses with Single and Multiple Clad Beads, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2015, Vol. 224, 89-101
- B. Zhang, G. Bi, P. Wang, J. Bai, Y. Chew, M. Nai: Microstructure and mechanical properties of Inconel 625/nano-TiB2 composite fabricated by LAAM, Materials & Design, 2016, Vol. 111, 70-79
ApplicationsLAAM can be used for surface modification with wear and corrosion resistance properties, repair of high value-add components, and direct manufacturing of 3D components with full functions. The applications can be found in aerospace, PE, oil &gas, marine & offshore and automotive, etc.
1. A*Star Aerospace Program Achievement Award 2012.
2. A*Star Aerospace Program Achievement Award 2013.