Forming Technology Group focuses on R&D in near net shape or net shape manufacturing and rapid prototyping processes for metals, ceramics, polymeric materials and composites. Technologies developed in the Forming Technology Group include metal forming, extreme pressure die casting, powder processing, precision polymer moulding, natural fibre composite and myriads of additive manufacturing processes, all contributing to cost-performance improvement to give local manufacturing industry competitive edge.
Our R&D activities are carried out in three teams:
Metal and Ceramic Processing Team focuses on sheet and bulk metal forming and incremental forming, micro surface texturing, Liquid Forging of wrought alloys and metal matrix composites, as well as metal and ceramic powder injection moulding
Polymer Processing Team focuses on development of precision polymer injection moulding, natural fibre composite consolidation and forming, and material development for bio-polymers and liquid silicone rubber
3D Additive Manufacturing Team focuses on development of processes and systems for additive manufacturing of metals (powder bed and direct deposition) and polymers (thermoplastic and thermosetting) for highly customized products
The group carries out collaborative cutting-edge research with academic/research institutions. To constantly serve the changing market needs, close collaborations with industrial partners are fostered through co-developing of processes and products, technology transfers and conducting training for the manufacturing industry.
Download this brochure for more information.
- PCT Patent No. WO2016028229A1, “Metal article forming apparatus and methods for forming metal article”, 25 February 2016
- Patent Application “Low Actuation Zero Latency (L.A.Z.Y) Stereolithography apparatus” (Application no. 10201505849T, 27 July 2015)
- Singapore Provisional Patent filed, “Formation of Titanium-Tantalum Alloy by Selective Laser Melting” (Application no. 10201507752T, 17 September 2015).
- US Patent No. US201300004911A1, "Method and apparatus for forming orthodontic brackets", 3 January 2013
- US Patent No. US20130231427A1, "Method of forming and object using powder injection molding", 5 September 2013
- US 11/817, 779, "Method and apparatus for forging liquid forged article"
- China Patent CN 101189083 B, Granted 12 January 2011, "Liquid Forging Technology"
- US Patent No. 61/411317, "Powder Injection Moulding", filed on 8 November 2010
- Singapore Patent No. 147319, "Safety Guard for Syringe Needle", Granted on 30 September 2010
- Singapore Patent No. 135350, "Method and Apparatus for Forging", Granted on 29 January 2010
- Singapore Patent No. 137702, "Tube for stacking and stack produced thereby" , 30 September 2009
- Singapore Patent No. 119249, "An Alloying System", Granted on 29 February 2008
- Singapore Patent No. 134345, "Method for obtaining graded pore structure in scaffolds for tissues and bone, and scaffolds with graded pore structure for tissue and bone", Granted on 31 October 2007
- Singapore Patent No. 112936, " Production of composite materials by powder injection moulding and infiltration" , Granted on 30 March 2007
- Singapore Patent no. 106066, " Heating Apparatus for Formable Metals", Granted on 29 December 2006
- US Patent No. US 2005-0089190-A1, "Apparatus and method for forming curvature in sheet metal', Granted on 26-September 2006
- Singapore Patent No. 112778, "Transformable and Recyclable Semi-solid Metal Processing", Granted on 30 June 2006
Commercialisation and Licensing
- Limited exclusivity licensing of Liquid Forging to Aavid Thermalloy
- Non-exclusive licensing on binder system and PIM process to Span Connecting Technology Pte Ltd
- Non-exclusive licensing of microforming of dental braces to Innobrace (S) Pte Ltd
- Non-exclusive licensing of scaffolds for tissue and bone to Bio Scaffold International Pte Ltd
Honours and Awards
- Liquid Forging technology selected for publicity at A*STAR Innovati50n Reconstructed @ArtScience Museum 04-05 December 2015
- The SIAEC-SME CIP project and business model was mentioned in parliament by 2nd Minister for Trade and Industry, Mr., S Iswaran, during the Committee of Supply Debate on 6 March 2015, with media coverage by Channel News Asia
- Awarded aircraft certification for manufacturing polymer interior parts for 2015/2016 under aviation authority POA SAR 21.
- Master Research Collaboration Agreement (MRCA) Signing Ceremony to cement the relationship and collaborative strength between SIMTech and Applied Materials on 31st Sept 2015.
- Media Coverage by The Straits Times (27 August 2013) on 3D printed bio-scaffolds for dental application, which was highlighted by Prime Minister during the National Day Rally. (Jointly developed by Bio-scaffold International, NUS and FTG SIMTech)
- Certificate of Approval for manufacturing of aircraft interior parts meeting airworthiness requirements (Certificate no: QA/QER/SUB/17/2012)
- Media coverage by The Straits Times (29 March 2012) for Innobrace Orthodontics (S) Pte Ltd on "Self Ligating Brackets for Dental Braces"
- Media coverage by The Straits Times (21 May 2012) for Resin & Pigment Pte. Ltd, T-Up Excellence Award.
- Development of Liquid Forging Technology for the Manufacturing of high strength components" National Science and Technology Award, 2008