Introduction:She has more than 20 years of working experience in electron microscopy and x-ray microanalysis. The work involves research and development on various materials characterization and analytical techniques in industries ranging from manufacturing, electronic packaging, precision engineering, to aerospace. Her current research activities are in the areas of analytical and characterization techniques in Electron backscattered diffraction. One of the projects is the microstructural characterization of gamma and gamma prime phase of superalloy IN100 by laser-aided additive manufacturing using simultaneous EBSD/EDS. The presence and distribution of gamma prime will affect the mechanical property. However, it is difficult to differentiate structurally gamma and gamma prime as the lattice parameter differ no more than 0.5%.
- Provided technical services and perform failure analyses to industry to solve materials-related manufacturing problems.
- Perform materials engineering evaluations and materials characterization including microstructure evaluations, fractographic examinations, and physical and mechanical properties testing for new product development and product improvement projects
- Scanning electron microscopy, X-ray microanalysis techniques in Electron backscatter diffraction
BioNotes:B Sc (Physics) , National University of Singapore, 1992
Publications:1. Suzhu Yu,Fern Lan Ng, Khin Cho Cho Ma, Aye Aye Mon, Feng Lin Ng, Yen Yong Ng, "Effect of Porogenic Solvent on the Porous Properties of Polymer Monoliths", Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 16 MAY 2012, DOI: 10.1002/app.37514
2. S. Z. Yu, F. L. Ng, C. C. Khin, F. L. Ng, J. Zhao, K. K. Tong, "Development of Porous Polymer Monolith by Photoinitiated Polymerization", Journal of Applied Polymer Science ,vol. 120, Issue 6, pp. 3190-3195, 15 June 2011
3. R. Cai, W.K. Tan, F.L. Ng and C. Q Sun, "Influence of Crystal Structure, Morphology and Sodium Ion on the Photocatalytic Reactivity of Spray deposited Titanium Dioxide Film", Key Engineering Materials Vols. 447-448 (2010) pp. 734-739
4. F. L. Ng, R. Cai, X. T. Nguyen, J. Wei, "Super-hydrophilic Property and Self-cleaning Function of Amorphous and Anatase Titanium Dioxide (TiO2)", International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies, Jul 2009
5. C.K. Wong, H.J. Lu, B.K. Lok, F.L. Ng, Y.F. Sun, H.L. Paung, T.W. Tew, "The influence of solder volume and pad area on Sn-3.8Ag-0.7Cu and Ni UBM reaction in reflow soldering and isothermal aging", Journal of Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 48, pp. 611-621, Oct 2009
6. H. Xie, F. L. Ng, X. Zeng, "Spectroscopic ellipsometry study of thin film thermo-optical properties", Thin Solid Films, vol. 517, no. 17, pp.5066-5070, Jul 2009
7. B.Y. Tay, N.H. Loh, S.B. Tor, F.L. Ng, G. Gu, X. Lu, "Characterisation of micro gears produced by micro powder injection moulding", Powder Technology, vol. 188, no. 3, pp. 179-182, Jan 2009
8. J.W. Tew Ronnie, F.L. Ng, L.S.G. Kip, Y.F. Sun, Z.F. Wang, X.Q. Shi, J. Wei and G.Y. Li, "Microstructure of Eutectic 80Au/20Sn solder joint in Laser Diode Package", Microelectronics engineering, vol. 85(3), pp. 512-517, Mar 2008
9. F.L. Ng, B.Y. Tay, Y.K. Tan, N.H. Loh, S.B. Tor and G. Fu, "Characterisation of Powder Injection Moulded Micro-Gear using EBSD analysis", International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies, Jul 2007
10. B. Y. Tay, S. X. Zhang, M. H. Myint, F. L. Ng, M. Chandrasekaran and L. K. A. Tan, "Processing of polycaprolactone porous structure for scaffold development", Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 182(1-3), pp. 117-121, 2007
11. F.L. Ng, J. Wei, F.K. Lai, K.L. Goh, "Metallic thin film depth measurements by X-ray microanalysis", Applied Surface Science, vol. 252, no. 11, pp. 3972-3976, Mar 2006
12. F.L. Ng and J. Wei, "X-ray Microanalysis of Metallic Thin Films", ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2005
13. F.L. Ng, J. Wei & Jeffrey Goh K.L., "Thickness Measurement of Sputtered Gold Films by X-ray Microanalysis", Processing & Fabrication of Advanced Materials, vol. II, pp. 1039-1047, Dec 2004
Awards:Patent: Method of Fabricating Microelectromechanical System Structures, (US 7,753,759 B2)
3rd SIMTech Research Awards 2007 for the project "Processing and Characterization of Tissue Engineering Scaffolds".
2nd SIMTech Research Awards 2005 for the project "Development Of Glass To Glass Bonding Technique (SIMT/02-110014)".