Dr Jonathan Low is a Scientist at A*STAR’s Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SIMTech). He received his B.Eng. (Hons) and M.Eng.Sc. from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Australia, and his Ph.D. from the National University of Singapore (NUS). Prior to his graduate studies, Dr Low spent his early career as an Engineering Assistant, honing his technical skills at one of the largest multinational electronics manufacturing services (EMS) company in Singapore. Over the years, Dr Low has been involved in numerous sustainability-related R&D and consultancy projects. He has also published widely in the field of life cycle engineering and sustainable manufacturing. In recognition of his contributions, Dr Low has received a number of awards such as the SIMTech Award in 2008, the A*STAR Borderless Award in 2011 and the Ministry of Trade and Industry Borderless Award in 2011. Dr Low’s current research focus is on developing new methodologies, techniques and decision support tools that can help companies better manage and improve their resource efficiency.
Research Interest:Decision Support for Sustainability Management; Sustainability Analytics; Life Cycle Management; Eco-Design
BioNotes:Bachelor of Engineering (1st Class Honours) in Mechatronic Engineering, University of New South Wales, 2007
Master of Engineering Science in Mechanical Engineering, University of New South Wales, 2008
Publications:• R.S. Ng, Z.Q. Yeo, J.S.C. Low, and B. Song, “A method for relative eco-efficiency analysis and improvement: case study of bonding technologies”, Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 99, July 2015.
• F. Cerdas, D. Kurle, S. Andrew, S. Thiede, C. Herrmann, Z.Q. Yeo, J.S.C. Low, B. Song, and S. Kara, “Defining Circulation Factories – A Pathway towards Factories of the Future”, in Procedia CIRP, vol. 29, pp. 627-632, 2015.
• B. Song, Z.Q. Yeo, J.S.C. Low, D.J.W. Koh, D. Kurle, F. Cerdas, C. Herrmann, “A Big Data Analytics Approach to Develop Industrial Symbioses in Large Cities”, in Procedia CIRP, vol. 29, pp. 450-455, 2015.
• R.S. Ng, J.S.C. Low, and B. Song, “Integrating and implementing Lean and Green practices based on proposition of Carbon-Value Efﬁciency metric”, Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 95, pp. 242-255, February 2015.
• J.S.C. Low, W.F. Lu, and B. Song, "Product Structure-Based Integrated Life Cycle Analysis (PSILA): A technique for cost modelling and analysis of closed-loop production systems," Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 70, pp. 105-117, May 2014.
• J. S. C. Low, W. F. Lu, and B. Song, "Designing a Closed-Loop Production System Considering Product Recovery Volume Uncertainty", in the 8th International Symposium on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing (EcoDesign 2013), Jeju, Korea, 2013.
• J. S. C. Low, W. F. Lu, and B. Song, "Methodology for an integrated life cycle approach to Design for Environment," in Key Engineering Materials, vol. 572, pp. 20-23, 2013.
• J. S. C. Low, W. F. Lu, H. M. Lee, and B. Song, "Methodology for an integrated life cycle approach to product end-of-life planning", in Re-engineering Manufacturing for Sustainability, Springer Singapore, pp. 397-402, 2013.
• J. S. C. Low, W. F. Lu, H. M. Lee, and B. Song, "Methodology for modelling the eco-efficiency of closed-loop product life cycles," in Electronics Goes Green 2012+ (EGG 2012), pp. 1-6, 2012.
• R.S. Ng, C. W. P. Shi, J. S. C. Low, H. M. Lee, and B. Song, "Comparative Carbon Footprint Assessment of Door made from Recycled Wood Waste versus Virgin Hardwood: Case Study of a Singapore Wood Waste Recycling Plant", in Glocalized Solutions for Sustainability in Manufacturing, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 629-634, 2011.
• C.B.H. Chua, H.M.Lee, and J.S.C. Low, "Life cycle emissions and energy study of biodiesel derived from waste cooking oil and diesel in Singapore", The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, vol. 15, pp. 417-423, May 2010.
Awards:SIMTech Award 2008
A*STAR Graduate Scholarship Award 2009
A*STAR Borderless Award 2011
Ministry of Trade and Industry Award (Borderless) 2011