This module introduces participants to the fundamentals and practical issues of mechanical enhancement processes (rolling, peening, burnishing), mechanical finishing processes (vibratory bowl finishing, drag finishing, abrasive flow machining, magneto-rheological finishing and grinding), and laser surface treatment for functionalities (marking, laser peening and finishing). Participants are also guided through hands-on project-based sessions to work on real-world industrial topics using SIMTech equipment and instruments to further enhance their understanding of surface enhancement and finishing technologies.
What You Will Learn
Understanding Fundamentals of Surface Enhancement and Finishing Technologies Relevant to Manufacturing
- Rolling, peening, burnishing for surface enhancement
- Vibratory bowl finishing, drag finishing, abrasive flow machining, magneto-rheological finishing and grinding for surface finishing
Laser surface texturing, marking and laser peening for surface functionalities
- Laser surface polishing, laser cleaning for surface finishing
Practical Application of Surface Enhancement and Finishing Technologies though Project-based Learning on:
- Mechanical surface enhancement
- Mechanical surface finishing
- Laser surface treatment for improving surface functional properties, e.g. wettability, tribology.
- Laser polishing and cleaning for repair, refurbishment and remanufacturing