3-year Master Research Collaboration Agreement Inked to Jumpstart P&G Innovation Ecosystem here
1. Procter & Gamble (P&G) and the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) entered into a strategic partnership to jumpstart P&G’s innovation expansion in Singapore and strengthen P&G’s R&D presence in Singapore. This Master Research Collaboration Agreement (MRCA)signed by the two organisations comes ahead of the opening of P&G’s new Innovation Center, which is expected to be completed by late 2013.
2. The three-year MRCA builds on the existing cooperation between P&G and A*STAR which began in 2006. It will set the stage for more cutting-edge market innovations. The initial focus of the collaborative research will be on developing Transformative Platform Technologies (TPT) for chemicals, bio, smart products and packaging, as well as process development, to aid new product development for a wide range of product categories in which P&G is active, and in particular consumer care.
3. The research agreement, which involves the participation of all 14 A*STAR research institutes and four consortia and centre, will provide opportunities for A*STAR researchers to accelerate collaborations with P&G researchers based locally in Singapore as well as overseas. The areas of research will include biotechnology, molecular biology, chemistry, high performance computing and materials. The MRCA will also provide P&G with access to research services and facilities at Singapore’s research hub – Biopolis and Fusionopolis.
4. Mr Lim Chuan Poh, Chairman of A*STAR said: “This strategic partnership marks a significant milestone in the evolving relationship between P&G and A*STAR. We are glad to have strengthened P&G’s R&D activities in Singapore and excited of A*STAR’s role in jumpstarting P&G’s innovation ecosystem here.”
5. He added: “A*STAR offers a spectrum of world class capabilities in the RIs that are aligned to industry needs and look forward to working with P&G to make Singapore Asia’s Innovation Capital.”
6. Ms Deb Henretta, Group President - Asia, P&G, welcomed the agreement: “I am delighted that we are deepening our existing relationship with A*STAR and expanding its scope. The MRCA marks an important milestone in P&G’s journey to establish Singapore as a hub of innovation; I am confident that with this agreement, along with P&G’s forthcoming Innovation Centre here, Singapore will indeed become home to innovation that touch and improve the lives of consumers across Asia and the world.”
7. Commenting on P&G’s strengthened presence in Singapore, Mr Bruce Brown, P&G’s Chief Technology Officer said: “We welcome this strategic partnership with A*STAR in Singapore. This new strategic partnership builds on our current successful relationship and allows us to pursue broader and deeper collaboration opportunities. This should allow P&G to team up with the unique innovation capabilities made available through A*STAR to develop new technologies and innovations that will improve the lives of our consumers.”
8. The previous joint research projects between P&G and A*STAR included materials research with A*STAR’s Institute of Materials Research and Engineering (IMRE), and computational modeling for consumer care products with the Institute of High Performance Computing (IHPC).
AGENCY FOR SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND RESEARCH, PROCTER & GAMBLE
For media queries and clarification, please contact:
Clement Ng (Mr)
Senior Officer, Corporate Communications
Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR)
DID: +65 6826 6480 | Mobile: +65 9815 4490
Fax: +65 6478 9593
Edwin Lam (Mr)
Manager, External Relations
Mobile:+65 9712 9695
About the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR)
The Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) is the lead agency for fostering world-class scientific research and talent for a vibrant knowledge-based and innovation-driven Singapore. A*STAR oversees 14 biomedical sciences, and physical sciences and engineering research institutes, and seven consortia & centre, which are located in Biopolis and Fusionopolis, as well as their immediate vicinity.
A*STAR supports Singapore's key economic clusters by providing intellectual, human and industrial capital to its partners in industry. It also supports extramural research in the universities, hospitals, research centres, and with other local and international partners.
About Procter & Gamble (NYSE: PG)
Four billion times a day, P&G brands touch the lives of people around the world. The company has one of the strongest portfolios of trusted, quality, leadership brands, including Pampers®, Tide®, Ariel®, Always®, Whisper®, Pantene®, Mach3®, Bounty®, Dawn®, Gain®, Pringles®, Charmin®, Downy®, Lenor®, Iams®, Crest®, Oral-B®, Duracell®, Olay®, Head & Shoulders®, Wella®, Gillette®, Braun® and Fusion®.
The P&G community includes approximately 127,000 employees working in about 80 countries worldwide. Please visit http://www.pg.com for the latest news and in-depth information about P&G and its brands.