Assoc Professor Melvin Leow Khee Shing
Deputy Director (Clinical), CNRC
I am an accredited endocrinologist with Academy of Medicine (Singapore) and a registered medical doctor with the Singapore Medical Council. I am also an elected fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American College of Endocrinology. While undergoing subspecialty training, I underwent a clinical and research fellowship at Harvard Medical School and its affiliated Longwood Medical and Academic Area hospitals in Boston. In 2008, I joined SICS as a clinical investigator under the clinical metabolic physiology group of the Department of Growth, Development and Metabolism of SICS. My research activities entail clinical physiological studies which have the collective goal of understanding better the contribution of developmental factors to the emergent pattern of metabolic disease in the different ethnic populations in Singapore. My expertise lies in the understanding of the control over energy balance, neuroendocrine function and metabolism that is exerted through the critical centers of the brain and feedback loops involving the intricate network of the gastrointestinal tract, pancreas, adipose tissue, liver, muscles and thyroid.
- Lee KM, Tan HS, Leow MK, Sethi VK, Chua EJ. Radiotherapy as local adjuvant treatment for endometrial carcinoma – a review of 45 patients. Ann Acad Med Singapore 1998; 27: 636-9.2. Leow MK, Loh KC. 46 XY, female- a case report. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2001; 30: 71-5.
- Tan NC, Tan AK, Sitoh YY, Loh KC, Leow MK, Tjia HT. Paroxysmal exercise-induced dystonia associated with hypoglycemia induced by an insulinoma. J Neurol 2002; 249: 1615-16.
- Loh KC, Leow MK. Current therapeutic strategies for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2002; 31: 722-9.
- Leow MK, Loh KC. Fatal thyroid crisis years after two thyroidectomies for Graves’ disease: Is thyroid tissue autotransplantation for post-thyroidectomy hypothyroidism worthwhile? J Am Coll Surg 2002; 195: 434-5.
- Leow MK, Loh KC, Kon WY, Wong DE, Tan BS, Soon PC. Clinical utility of selective intra-arterial calcium stimulated hepatic venous sampling in regionalization of insulinomas – the Singapore experience. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2003; 32: 86-91.