David Cameron-Smith is Senior Principal Investigator at the Singapore Institute for Clinical Sciences (A*STAR), and leads research on dietary protein and lipid metabolism at the Clinical Nutrition Research Centre. David received his PhD in nutritional biochemistry from the Deakin University in Australia. Following postdoctoral training at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, he returned to an academic appointment at the School of Health Sciences, Deakin University. In 2009, he moved to the University of Auckland, New Zealand as the University Chair in Nutrition a role that included being Director of the National Science Challenge, High Value Nutrition. Professor Cameron-Smith has authored over 230 peer-reviewed publications in areas of nutritional clinical interventions, with complementary analysis of health impacts in areas of obesity, diabetes and ageing, using advanced analytics including lipidomics, metabolomics, transcriptomics. At SICS, David’s research group is focused on building the scientific evidence for Future Foods, a part A*STAR funding and expansion of the Singapore Food Story. This is a research strategy to extend Singaporean capabilities in the advanced biotech-based food manufacture, with the aim of providing clinically-validated food solutions for improve health in the face of the dual challenges of rising metabolic disease and population aging.
- Vella L, Markworth JF, Farnfield MM, Maddipati KR, Russell AP, Cameron-Smith D (2019). Intramuscular inflammatory and resolving lipid profile responses to an acute exercise bout of resistance exercise in men. Physiological Reports 7(13):e14108. doi: 10.14814/phy2.14108.
- Prodhan UK, Milan AM, Thorstensen EB, Barnett MPG, Stewart RAH, Benatar JR, Cameron-Smith D. (2019). Altered Dairy Protein Intake Does Not Alter Circulatory Branched Chain Amino Acids in Healthy Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Nutrients, 10(10). pii: E1510. doi: 10.3390/nu10101510.
- Mitchell CJ, D'Souza RF, Mitchell SM, Figueiredo VC, Miller BF, Hamilton KL, Peelor FF 3rd, Coronet M, Pileggi CA, Durainayagam B, Fanning AC, Poppitt SD, Cameron-Smith D. (2018). The impact of dairy protein during limb immobilization and recovery on muscle size and protein synthesis; a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Applied Physiology, 124(3):717-728.
- Mitchell CJ, Milan AM, Mitchell SM, Zeng N, Ramzan F, Sharma P, Knowles SO, Roy NC, Sjödin A, Wagner K-H, Cameron-Smith, D.(2017). The effects of dietary protein intake on appendicular lean mass and muscle function in elderly men: a 10 week randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 106(6):1375-1383.
- Markworth JF, Kaur G, Miller EG, Larsen AE, Sinclair AJ, Maddipati KR, Cameron-Smith D. (2016). Divergent shifts in lipid mediator profile following supplementation with n-3 docosapentaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid. FASEB J, 30(11): 3714-25.