Dr. Bobby Cheon
I am currently a Principal Investigator at the Singapore Institute for Clinical Sciences (SICS) and Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology at Nanyang Technological University. I completed my Ph.D. in Psychology at Northwestern University and completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the Culture Science Institute of Nanyang Business School.
As a social/cultural psychologist, my research focuses on how cultural and environmental influences interact with neurobiological mechanisms to shape social cognition and behavior. I have examined this interplay on processes such as social sensitivity, cooperation, social cohesion, decision-making, and social preferences/prejudices. I adopt a multidisciplinary approach to these research questions, drawing upon methodologies and tools from diverse areas such as experimental psychology, functional neuroimaging, behavioral genetics, and behavioral economics. At the CNRC, I am applying my research experience in the study of culture and social behavior to examine how cultural and social factors modulate food choice, eating behaviors, nutrition and health.
- Cheon BK, Livingston RW, Hong Y-Y, and Chiao JY. "Gene x environment interactions on intergroup bias: The role of 5-HTTLPR and outgroup threat." Soc Cogn Affect Neur. 01-Sep-14; 9(9):1268-1275. doi: 10.1093/scan/nst111
- Pornpattananangkul N, Cheon BK and Chiao JY. "The role of negativity bias in political judgment: A cultural neuroscience perspective." Behav Brain Sci, 27-Jun-14; 37(3):325-326. doi: 10.1017/S0140525X13002707
- Cheon BK, Im D, Harada T, Mathur V, Scimeca J, Parrish TB, Park H and Chiao J. Y. (2013). "Cultural modulation of the neural correlates of emotional pain perception: The role of other-focusedness." Neuropsychologia, 01-Jun-13; 51(7):1177-1186. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2013.03.018
- Cheon BK, Mrazek AJ, Pornpattanangkul N, Blizinsky KD and Chiao JY. "Constraints, catalysts and coevolution in cultural neuroscience: Reply to commentaries." Psychol Inq, 1-Jan-13; 24(1):71-79. doi: 10.1080/1047840X.2013.773599
- Chiao JY, Cheon BK, Pornpattanangkul N, Mrazek AJ and Blizinsky KD. "Cultural neuroscience: Progress and promise." Psychol Inq, 1-Jan-13; 24(1):1-19. doi: 10.1080/1047840X.2013.752715