Dr. Mary Chong Foong Foong
My main research interests are in maternal and infant nutrition, nutrition related to metabolic diseases and cardiovascular health, appetite regulation and eating behaviours in adults and children. My present role in CNRC is to help build up the clinical nutritional research capabilities in this area and also support ongoing clinical trials, which have significant nutrition component. Our projects are conducted in collaboration with several institutions including NUS, NUHS and Duke-NUS. Current projects include a large scale birth cohort study (GUSTO), a metabolic profiling research study in overweight men which involves a weight loss programme component (SAMS) and a dietary intervention study to examine the impact of diet on insulin sensitivity. From these studies, we wish to build up our own nutrient and food composition database of local foods. This will be an invaluable resource for our interventional trials.
- 1. M.F-F Chong, M. Weech, T.W.George, M.Robinson, M.Knight-Adams and J.A.Lovegrove. A dietary strategy to increase the dose of flavonoid-rich and flavonoid-poor fruits ad vegetables in free-living individuals: the FLAVUR study (submission in progress).
- M.F-F Chong, S. Lockyer, C.J.Saunders and J.A.Lovegrove (2010) Long chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids reduced postprandial measures of arterial stiffness. Clinical Nutrition Oct; 29 (5): 678-81 (Epub 2010 Mar 2).
- M. F- F Chong, L.Hodson, A.Bickerton, R.Roberts, M.Neville, F.Karpe, K.N.Frayn and B.A.Fielding (2008) Parallel activation of de novo lipogenesis and stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity after 3 days of high-carbohydrate feeding. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition ;87:817-823.
- Rachel Roberts, Alex S Bickerton, Barbara A Fielding, Ellen E Blaak, Anton J Wagenmakers, Leanne Hodson, Mary F-F Chong, Marjorie Gilbert, Fredrik Karpe, Keith N Frayn (2008) Reduced oxidation of dietary fat after a short term high-carbohydrate diet. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition ;87:824-31.
- Mary F-F Chong, Barbara A Fielding, Keith N Frayn (2007) Mechanisms for the acute effect of fructose on postprandial lipemia. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition ;85: 1511-1520.