Congratulations to Dr Nancy Chen from A*STAR's I2R on being awarded the 2019 L'Oreal Singapore For Women in Science National Fellowship Award (Physical and Engineering Sciences).
"Surrounded by Spanish speaking friends while growing up in
the United States, I’ve always been intrigued by the intricacies and nuances of
human language. Learning that mathematical models can be used as a universal
framework to characterize and process any spoken language has been fascinating
and inspired me to go into the field of conversational artificial intelligence
I am honored that my contributions are recognized by the judges of
this year’s L'Oreal Singapore For Women in Science National Fellowship Award. I
hoped that this will encourage more young female scientists to dedicate to
science, technology, engineering and math."
A talented scientist from I2R's Aural and Language Intelligence Department, Nancy leads her team to computationally model human language for designing smarter AI systems.
The gala marks the 11th anniversary of L’Oréal Singapore For Women
In Science fellowship which is committed to supporting women in the field of
science, an area where only a mere 29% of the world’s researchers are women, as
women face gender disparity and are often underrepresented.
Significant publications :
• Fast Prototyping a Dialogue Comprehension System for Nurse-Patient Conversations on Symptom Monitoring, NAACL 2019
• Reading Turn by Turn: Hierarchical Attention Architecture for Spoken Dialogue Comprehension, ACL 2019
• Topic-Aware Pointer-Generator Networks for Summarizing Spoken Conversations, IEEE ASRU 2019
• Multimodal Transformer Networks for End-to-End Video-Grounded Dialogue Systems, ACL 2019
• Set to Ordered Text: Generating Discharge Instructions from Medical Billing Codes, EMNLP 2019