In 2020, we designed a 3D sheet-based Li7La3Zr2O12 (LLZO) solid framework, infused with liquid electrolyte. The LLZO hybrid solid electrolyte (HSE) is unleakable due to the retention of the liquid electrolyte within the solid 3D framework. It is not susceptible to cracking due to its non-rigid structure. It is also thermally resistant, compatible with Li metal, and has high ionic conductivity and anodic stability. LLZO HSE has excellent battery performance, showing capacity as high as ~1450 mAh g-1, stable cycling over 300 cycles, and one of the best rate capabilities reported so far for Li-S hybrid solid system. Interestingly, LLZO sheets significantly reduced polysulfide shuttling, which is one of the main challenges of lithium-sulfur battery. Hence, our system showed lower capacity loss, as compared to commercial separators.
Selected Recent Publications
- J. Yang, X. Yang, J. L. Cheong, K. Zaghib, M. L. Trudeau and J. Y. Ying, “Nanoboxes with a Porous MnO Core and Amorphous TiO2 Shell as a Mediator for Lithium-Sulfur Batteries,” Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 9 (2021) 4952-4961.
- J. H. Soh, H.-M. Chan and J. Y. Ying, “Strategies for Developing Sensitive and Specific Nanoparticle-Based Lateral Flow Assays as Point-of-Care Diagnostic Device,” Nano Today, 30 (2020) 100831.
- X. Yuan, L. L. Chng, J. Yang and J. Y. Ying, “Miscible-Solvent-Assisted Two-Phase Synthesis of Monolayer-Ligand-Protected Metal Nanoclusters with Various Sizes,” Advanced Materials, 32 (2020) 1906063.
- A. A. AbdelHamid, J. L. Cheong and J. Y. Ying, "Li7La3Zr2O12 Sheet-Based Framework for High-Performance Lithium-Sulfur Hybrid Quasi-Solid Battery,” Nano Energy, 71 (2020) 104633.
- N. Erathodiyil, H.-M. Chan, H. Wu and J. Y. Ying, “Zwitterionic Polymers and Hydrogels for Antibiofouling Applications in Implantable Devices,” Materials Today, 38 (2020) 84-98.
- C. Ren, F. Chen, R. Ye, Y. S. Ong, H. Lu, S. S. Lee, J. Y. Ying and H. Zeng, “Molecular Swings as Extremely Active Ion Transporters,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 58 (2019) 8034-8038.
- Y. Yuan, D. S. W. Lim, H. Wu, H. Lu, Y. Zheng, A. C. A. Wan, J. Y. Ying and Y. Zhang, “pH-Degradable Imidazolium Oligomers as Antimicrobial Materials with Tuneable Loss of Activity,” Biomaterials Science, 7 (2019) 2317-2325.
- A. Aspuru-Guzik, M.-H. Baik, S. Balasubramanian, R. Banerjee, S. Bart, N. Borduas-Dedekind, S. Chang, P. Chen, C. Corminboeuf, F.-X. Coudert, L. Cronin, C. Crudden, T. Cuk, A. G. Doyle, C. Fan, X. Feng, D. Freedman, S. Furukawa, S. Ghosh, F. Glorius, M. Jeffries-EL, N. Katsonis, A. Li, S. S. Linse, S. Marchesan, N. Maulide, A. Milo, A. R. H. Narayan, P. Naumov, C. Nevado, T. Nyokong, R. Palacin, M. Reid, C. Robinson, G. Robinson, R. Sarpong, C. Schindler, G. S. Schlau-Cohen, T. W. Schmidt, R. Sessoli, S.-H. Yang, H. Sleiman, J. Sutherland, A. Taylor, A. Tezcan, M. Tortosa, A. Walsh, A. J. B. Watson, B. M. Weckhuysen, E. Weiss, D. Wilson, V. W.-W. Yam, X. Yang, J. Y. Ying, T. Yoon, S.-L. You, A. J. G. Zarbin and H. Zhang, “Charting a Course for Chemistry,” Nature Chemistry, 11 (2019) 286-294.
- N. Yongvongsoontorn, J. E. Chung, S. Gao, K. H. Bae, A. Yamashita, M.-H. Tan, J. Y. Ying and M. Kurisawa, “Carrier-Enhanced Anticancer Efficacy of Sunitinib-Loaded Green Tea-Based Micellar Nanocomplex beyond Tumor-Targeted Delivery,” ACS Nano, 13 (2019) 7591-7602.
- J. L. Cheong, A. A. AbdelHamid and J. Y. Ying, “A High-Performance Slurry-Coated Polysulfide Cathode for Lithium–Sulfur Battery,” Nano Energy, 66 (2019) 104114.
- Y. Yuan, H. Wu, H. Lu, Y. Zheng, J. Y. Ying and Y. Zhang, “ZIF Nano-Dagger Coated Gauze for Antibiotic-Free Wound Dressing,” Chemical Communications, 55 (2019) 699-702.
- T. C. Lim, S. Cai, R. G. Huber, P. J. Bond, P. X. S. Chia, S. L. Khou, S. Gao, S. S. Lee and S. G. Lee, “Facile Saccharide-Free Mimetics that Recapitulate Key Features of Glycosaminoglycan Sulfation Patterns,” Chemical Science, 9 (2018) 7940-7947.