Imaging Today the Medicine of Tomorrow
Singapore Bioimaging Consortium (SBIC)
is a leading bioimaging platform in the world characterised by:
- Scientific and academic excellence
- Efficient integration and promotion of collaborations among A*STAR institutes and other partners in Singapore
- High societal impact with rapid bench-to-bedside transfers in collaboration with the clinical community
- Close interface with the industrial sector and successful commercialisation of know-how, ensuring financial sustainability and profitability
- Ability to capture economic opportunities in order to create value, including with the creation of new enterprises
- Ability to attract, develop and retain talents in basic and applied research and related businesses.
As a research institute, with a multidisciplinary team of biologists, physiologists, chemists, physicists, electrical/electronic engineers, computer scientists, and clinicians, SBIC investigates human diseases which are major public health issues, using molecular physiology and advanced bioimaging tools, in a translational and pivotal mode with the medical community and industrial partners (MNCs and SMEs). SBIC also works on strategic bioimaging projects, including the development of novel imaging probes.
The vertical integration of multi-disciplinary competence from genes to humans within SBIC, and the accompanying horizontal network of transverse collaborations across institutions and disciplines in Singapore and overseas, confer SBIC a unique capacity to promote rapid transfers of results in animal and human imaging research onto the clinical environment, to the immediate benefit of patients. It also ensures the development of financially sound and sustainable contractual research with industrial partners. SBIC currently operates 5 joint laboratories with industrial partners under the form of public-private partnership.
SBIC's current core research and innovation activities are in 3 main areas:
1) Selected major public health issues
- Nutrition and Dysmetabolism
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Neurometabolism, Neuroadaptation and Neuroplasticity
2) Personal care and wellness
3) Technological Innovation in life imaging
- Development of Smart Probes and Tags for molecular imaging
- Development of Novel Imaging Methods and Devices
As a national consortium, SBIC aims to harness existing imaging expertise and capabilities in Singapore, bringing together substantial strengths in the physical sciences and engineering with those in the biomedical and clinical sciences. Through an array of focused collaborations and joint appointments, SBIC fosters and supports the growth of multidisciplinary research activities in the field of bioimaging across local research institutes, universities and hospitals, in order to accelerate the development of biomedical research discoveries. This is illustrated by SBIC's active participation in several national research initiatives across all Singaporeans institutions, such as the GUSTO (Growing Up in Singapore Towards a healthy Outcome) and the ATTRaCT (Asian neTwork for Translational Research and Cardiovascular Trials) projects.
Professor Patrick J. Cozzone