The functionality, portability and value of many products can be substantially increased with reduced size and weight. With the trend towards miniaturisation, micro-machining is becoming more and more important for manufacture of micro parts. Micro-components have found wide applications in optical engineering, bio-medical engineering, precision engineering and MEMS systems. In this course, micro/meso mechanical machining technologies and machine tool characterisation will be covered.
Dr Liu Kui, Dr Thoe Alex, Mr Kanno Shigeku, Mr Wu Hu, Mr Liu Peiling and Ms Ding Xin
Session 1 - Machining Technology Overview
- Macro/nano machining, such as HSM, focus ion beam machining, laser beam machining
- Micro/meso machining, such as micro turning, micro milling, micro fly-cutting, micro grooving, micro-EDM, micro grinding, ultra-precision machining
Session 2 - Machining Principle
- Fundamentals of cutting technology
- Cutting temperature
- Cutting tool and wear
- Cutting forces - Chip formation
Session 3 - CNC & Micro Machining Simulation
- G code verification
- NC optimization
- Smart machining
Micro Machining Simulation:
- Cutter effect on deformation
- Workpiece deformation
Session 4 - Machine Characterisation
- Overview of machine tool acceptance tests
(a) Ballbar system for machine axes accuracy and runout
(b) Sigma balancer for spindle balancing and vibration
Session 5 - Ultra-precision Machining
- Optical component machining
- Steel lens mould insert fabrication
(a) Micro grooving
(b) Micro drilling, thin wall milling and burr-free engraving of aluminium alloy
Session 6 - Measurement Method and Demo
- Stylus profiler for spheric/aspheric surface form accuracy
- Wyko white-light interferometer for spheric/aspheric surface roughness
- Zygo laser interferometer for spheric surface quality & form error
Who Should Attend
Researchers, lecturers, students from institutions, polytechnics & universities, andCEOs, CTOs, VPs, MDs, Executive Directors, managers, engineers, executives, officers & technologists from the Precision Engineering, Aerospace, Automotive, Photonics, Optics, Bio-technology, Manufacturing and Machining clusters.
Pre-registration for the course is necessary. Seats are available on a first come first served basis.
SMS Member: $420.00 (inclusive of 5% GST) per participant.
Non SMS Member: S$525.000 (inclusive of 5% GST)per participant.
Fee inclusive of mini buffet dinner, refreshment, course material and experimental tools.
Closing date: 12 September 2006
SIMTech members enjoy 20% discount, terms and conditions apply. (Limited to 2 participants for Category I members, and 4 participants for Category II members). Companies which join SMS now enjoy a complimentary TIP seat.
For enquiry on SMS Membership: Please contact Devi at 6793 8388 or email SMS@SIMTech.a-star.edu.sg for more details.