Innovative Technologies in Homeland Security
Date: 08 Oct 2004 - 08 Oct 2004
Venue: SIMTech, Auditorium, Tower Block, Level 3
Following a series of events worldwide, security concerns have changed significantly. A new domain of application; Homeland Security, has emerged. Although it is not new, it has become a very important area which is very much dependent on multiple Information Society Technologies (IT, robotics, media, communications, etc.). At the same time, it has presented multiple opportunities for SMEs to introduce innovative solutions by integrating COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) components into high value-added products targeted at regional markets. The Mechatronics group in SIMTech collaborated with I²R (Institute for Infocomm Research) in related applications, on the use of telerobotics and media extraction technology for surveillance applications. Both parties will present their work.
In addition, the audience will gain insights into the latest innovative technologies from NTU, Scalable Systems Pte Ltd and Robowatch Technologies (Germany).
1. New Approaches for Intelligent Video Surveillance by Dr Li Liyuan, I²R
2. Robotics Applications for Homeland Security by Dr Javier Ibanez Guzman, SIMTech
3. Velocity High Performance Cluster Computing (HPCC) with Rocks by Mr Laurence Liew, Scalable Systems Pte Ltd
4. Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUVs) with on-board Intelligence for Homeland Security by A/P Arjuna Prabhath Balasuriya, NTU
5. Mobile Surveillance in Urban Neighbourhood Environments by A/P Sardha Wijesoma, NTU
6. Unparallel Indoor and Outdoor Mobile Security by Mr Wayne Boris Perdue, Robowatch Technologies (Germany)
LIVE DEMONSTRATION OF SURVEILLANCE ROBOTS : Outdoor & Indoor by Robowatch Technologies