As products become more complex and the materials more exotic, a high level of competency in machining processes is needed. Product miniaturisation, functional surfaces and new materials are significant driving forces for research initiatives in new machining technologies to achieve ever smaller feature sizes, controlled surface textures and free-form surfaces. The Machining Technology Group (MTG) in SIMTech focuses on three research themes, i.e. Mechanical Machining, Abrasive Processes and Laser Processing Technologies. The research objectives are to enable the manufacture of products with better dimensional accuracy, greater structural intricacy, higher surface finish quality and lesser sub-surface damage while increasing productivity. Technologies being developed include machining techniques such as ultra-precision multi-axis machining and micromachining, abrasive surface finishing and profile grinding, machining dynamics and virtual Numerical Control (NC) modeling, high aspect ratio drilling for oil and gas instruments. In laser processing, the Group develops technologies for cutting, drilling, surface texturing and surface heat treatment of a wide range of materials. The Group carries out collaborative research with academic institutions, co-develops processes and products with companies and provides technology transfer and training to the manufacturing industry.
Download this brochure for more information.
- Vacuum Chuck for Laser Cleavage of Brittle Substrates and Method of Using Same, Z.K. Wang; Singapore patent application No. 201209291-2, filed on 17 Dec 2012 • Singapore Patent No. 201008438-2, "Apparatus, Devices and Systems for Rapid Magnetorheological Finishing of Thin Panel Glass Edges", Filed on 15 November 2010
- A wafer cutting method and a system thereof, Z.K. Wang, C. Tao, H.Y. Zheng; International Bureau; world intellectual property organization, International Publication No. WO2010/064997, published on 10 June 2010
- A Wafer Cutting Method and a System Thereof, Z.K. Wang, C. Tao, H.Y. Zheng; PCT Application No PCT/SG2009/000467, filed on 4 Dec. 2009
- Method for Laser Beam Cutting of Semiconductor Wafer, Z.K. Wang; Singapore Patent Application No.: 200809032-6, filed on 5 Dec. 2008
- Singapore Patent No. 200809032-6, "Method for Laser Beam Cutting of Semiconductor Wafer", Filed on 9 December 2008
- Singapore Patent No. 109950, "An Object Representation Method", Granted on 31 August 2006
- Singapore Patent No. 109947, "Mould Design Method and System" , Granted on 31 August 2006
- Singapore 200400176-4, "Q-switched Laser", Filed on 30 December 2005
- Singapore 200407711-1, "Resonating Nozzle System", Filed on 31 August 2005
- US Patent No. 6723278-BI, "Method of Laser Casting Copper-based Composites", Filed on 20 April 2004
- US Patent No. 6613161-B2, "Process for Laser Marking Metal Surfaces", Filed on 2 September 2003
- Singapore Patent No. 200305059-8, "Improved Laser Metallisation Circuit Formation and Circuits Formed Thereby", Filed on 12 March 2001
- Singapore Patent No. 200000516-5, "Method of Preparing an Integrated Circuit Package for Laser Marking", Filed on 1 February 2000