Introduction:Dr Ian Chan has more than 7 years of experience in research and application of structural health monitoring systems for various applications. He has extensive knowledge in the use of piezoelectric sensor networks for detecting damage and impacts in composite and metallic structures. Prior to joining SIMTech in Aug 2005, his experience includes 3 years as a project engineer at DSO National Laboratories (Singapore), 6 months as an invited researcher at Smart Structures Research Center (AIST Tsukuba, Japan) and almost 2 years as a Senior Engineer at Acellent Technologies, Inc (USA).
Research Interest:Structural diagnostics, multi-modal sensing, wireless sensor networks, equipment fault diagnosis, prognosis, impact detection, sensor self-diagnostics, construction, concrete damage detection, crack monitoring.
BioNotes:PhD., Stanford University, Stanford, USA
MSc, Stanford University, Stanford, USA
BEng (Mech), National University of Singapore, Singapore
1. P.X. Qing, H.L. Chan and S.J. Beard and A. Kumar, "An active diagnostic system for structural health monitoring of rocket engines", accepted by Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, July 2005.
2. S.J. Beard, A. Kumar, P.X. Qing, H.L. Chan, C. Zhang and T.K. Ooi, "Practical Issues in Real-World Implementation of Structural Health Monitoring Systems", Proceedings of SPIE on Smart Structures and Material Systems, March 2005.
1. H.L. Chan, C. Zhang, P.X. Qing, T.K. Ooi and S.A. Marotta, "Automatic Sensor-fault Detection System for Comprehensive Structural Health Monitoring System", IMAC XXIII, Orlando, Florida, USA, February 2005.
2. A. Kumar, S.J. Beard, P.X. Qing, H.L. Chan, T. Ooi, Stephen A. Marotta and F.K. Chang, "A Self-Diagnostic Structural Health Monitoring System for Composite Structures", SEM X International Conference, California, June 2004.
3. Chan, H. L. and Chang, F. K., "Bond Characterization Using Active Sensing Diagnostics", Workshop on Smart Structural Systems by US-Japan Cooperative Research Programs on Smart Structural Systems (Auto-adaptive Media) and Urban Earthquake Disaster Mitigation, Tsukuba, Japan, Oct 2002.
4. Chan, H. L. and Chang, F. K., "Design of SMART Rebar for Damage Detection in Steel-Reinforced Concrete",ISIS 1st International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring of Innovative Civil Infrastructures, Winnipeg, Canada, Sept 2002.
5. Chan, H. L. and Chang, F. K., "Design of SMART Rebar for Identifying Debond in Reinforced Concrete",SPIE 9th Annual Symposium on Smart Structures and Materials, San Diego, CA, Mar 2002. 6. Chan, H. L. "Using Euler code to Predict Captive Loads of Stores carried by F-16A", Singapore Air Platform Seminar, Singapore, May 1995.