· Process evaluation of selective plating of engineering plastics for MID's: Electroless, selective plating of PPA/PPS, ABC/PC, PBT/PBT and other two-shot moulded polymer combination. Position: team member. Project status: completed
· Development of techniques and methodologies for micro- and sub-micro evaluation of moulded polymer systems - micro-forming competency programme. The objective of this project is to develop a set of methods useful for characterisation of the nano- and microstructure and selected properties of various moulded polymers and composite systems. Position: project leader. Project status: Ongoing project
· Fabrication and process study of polymer nanocomposites. Compounding various thermoplastic polymers (mainly polyolephines) with clay-type nanocomposites. Structure - processing parameters - properties investigation. A collaborative project with Nanyang Technology University. Position: Team member. Project status: Ongoing project
Past activities (previous employment record):
University of Twente (Enschede, The Netherlands), Mesa+ Research Institute, Faculty of Chemical Technology. Projects:
· Synthesis and adhesion studies of pressure sensitive adhesives for medical applications (industrial project, completed). Tuning the adhesive properties including tack, peel, shear and solubility
· Investigations of silica-rubber interface. Silica filler size and spatial distribution in rubber matrix /Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)/. The interface adherence phenomenon. Free surface energy evaluation for modified silica fillers /Inverse Gas Chromatography (IGC)/
· Cold/hot stage development for AFM (Variable Temperature Atomic Force Microscopy). Sub-ambient phase transition investigation. AFM time-temperature superposition experiments. Sub-ambient morphology of liquid crystalline polymers
Technical University of Gdañsk (Gdañsk, Poland), Chemical Faculty. Polymer Technology Department: technical assistant and research assistant/academic teacher position. Projects and area of research:
· Dynamic Mechanical Thermal Analysis (DMTA) of various polymer systems
· Teaching experience: technology of polymer synthesis, monomers, rubber chemistry and technology, physical methods of polymer characterisation, ion exchange polymers, polymers for corrosion protection coatings
· Coordinated polyurethane reaction injection molding (RIM)
Research Interest:Polymer morphology, polymer chemistry (polyurethanes, polyureas, polyacrylates, rubber composites), surface chemistry and physics, polymer compounding, instrumental methods: scanning probe microscopy, thermal analysis including dynamic mechanical thermal analysis, differential scanning calorimetry, thermogravimetry
BioNotes:Technical University of Gdansk (Gdansk, Poland): PhD Thesis title: Investigations of synthesis, structure and properties of urethane polymers obtained with N,N'-ethyleneurea and N,N'-ethylenethiourea.
MSc, Eng Thesis title: The synthesis of cast urethane elastomers extended with the solutions of N,N'-ethyleneurea, thiourea and N,N-diallylmelamin in 1,4-butanediol.
Publications:1. Low Cost Electrocooling Device for AFM Applications. Debowski, M.; Vancso, G.J. Probe Microscopy 2, 11-19, 2001.
2· Study of the Molecular Geometry, Bond Structure, and Thermal Stability of Phosphazene and Heterophosphazene Rings and their Cations with Ab Initio Molecular Orbital Calculations. Debowski, M.; Jaeger, R., Vancso, G.J.; J. Inorg. Chem. 36, 1153-1159, 1999.
3· Polyurethane Elastomers Obtained in Polar Solvent Solution with N,N'-ethyleneurea as a Chain Extender. Debowski, M.; Balas, A.; J. Eur. Polym. J. 36, 601-606, 2000.
4· Cast Polyurethane Elastomers Obtained with N,N'-ethyleneurea and 1,4-butanediol as Chain Extenders. Debowski, M., Balas, A.; J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 75, 728-733, 2000.
5· Studies of Polyurethane Elastomers. Part II. Cast Polyurethane Elastomers Containing Biuret and Thiobiuret Groupings (in Polish) Balas, A.; Debowski, M.; Haponiuk, J.T.; Polimery 1994, 39, 441-448.