Dr. Fang Zhongping has been working with SIMTech since 1995. Currently he is a Senior Scientist with Precision Measurements Group of SIMTech. Before taking up the position, he was the manager of the Photonic Systems Group, and Machine Vision & Sensors Group. As a senior scientist, he has lead and successfully completed numerous research and industrial projects in the field of online automatic inspection and measurement for manufacturing companies in Singapore, especially those engaged in precision engineering, optics & photonics, semiconductor & electronics, medical and biomedical engineering, aerospace and energy etc. In addition, he is a Scientific Supervisor for the Joint Masters of Science in Engineering Business Management Program established by the University Of Warwick, Singapore Institute of Management and Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology. He is also a technical advisor appointed by A-STAR to industry and a technical consultant of Precision Engineering Center of Innovation (PE-COI) and a technical assessor/expert for the Singapore Accreditation Council-Singapore Laboratory Accreditation Scheme (SAC-SINGLAS). He is also a co-supervisor to Ph.D. students at the National University of Singapore and the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
Prior to joining SIMTech, he had extensive work experience in industry and had held various R&D positions with the National Institute of Metrology (NIM) in Beijing, China and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in USA. He is a Certified Industrial Automation Consultant (CIAC) at the Singapore Industrial Automation Association (SIAA), a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and a member of IEE (MIEE) and SPIE. He graduated from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China with BS and MS, and received a Ph.D. degree from a joint Ph.D. program between Tianjin University, China and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, USA in 1993, all in Optical Instrument Engineering and Metrology Technology.
Research Interest:Optics and optical measurement technology, dimensional metrology and instrumentation, optics & lighting for industrial vision inspection, laser interferometery, confocal microscopy, 3D profilometry, and 3D confocal sensing, microsensors and sensing systems, fiber optical sensors, microfluidics measurements, photogoniometry, industrial inspection and measurement automation, gun drilling inspection, precision machine metrology
BioNotes:Ph.D. Optical Instrument Engineering & Metrology Technology, joint Ph.D. of Tianjin University, China and University of North C arolina at Charlotte, 1993
M.Sc. Optical Instrument Engineering & Metrology Technology, Tsinghua University , Beijing
B.Sc. Optical Instrument Engineering, Tsinghua University , Beijing
Publications:1. S.G. Li, Z.G. Xu, S.F. Yoon, Z.P. Fang, "Feasibility study on bonding quality inspection of microfluidic devices by optical coherence tomography", Journal of Biomedical Optics 16(6), 066011-1-9 (June 2011)
2. X. M. Yin, L. P. Zhao, X. Li and Z. P. Fang, "Online Surface Measurement with Digital Shack-Hartmann Wavefront Sensor", International Journal of Nanoscience, Vol.9, No.2, pp.1-10, Apr 2010.
3. L. P. Zhao, X. Li, Z. P. Fang, N. Bai,Z. W. Zhong, A. A. Hein, "Improve the system Stability of a digital Shack-Hartmann Wavefront Sensor with a Special Lenslet Array", Applied Optics, pp. 6482-6487, vol. 47, no. 35, Dec-2008
4. S. Li, Z Xu, I. Reading, S. F. Yoon, Z. P. Fang, J. Zhao, "Three dimensional sidewall measurements by laser fluorescent confocal microscope", Vol.16, No.6, Optics Express 4001, 17 March 2008 5. L. P. Zhao, N. Bai, X. Li, L. S. Ong, Z. P. Fang and A. K. Asundi, "Efficient implementation of SLM as diffractive optical microlens array in digital Shack Hartman wavefront sensor," Applied Optics, vol 45, pp 90-94, April 2006.
6. X. Li, Z.P. Fang, I. Reading, L.P. Zhao, S.L. Chow, The In-Situ Inspection of Inclusions in Toughened Glass Panels of High-Rise Buildings, Journal of Nondestructive Testing, 10-4, 1 Apr 2005
7. S. H. Wang, C. Quan, C. J. Tay, I. Reading and Z. P. Fang, "Measurement of a fiber-end surface profile by use of phase-shifting laser interferometry," Applied Optics, vol 43, no1, pp. 49-56, January 2004.
8. T. Liu, Y. C. Soh, Q. Wang, Y. Zhang and Z.P. Fang, "Channel-wavelength selectable single/dual-wavelength erbium-doped fiber ring laser," Optical Engineering, vol.43, no. 1, pp.209-213, January 2004.
9. J. Paul, L.P. Zhao, B.K.A. Ngoi and Z.P. Fang, "Novel Configuration for lateral pressure tuning of fiber Bragg Garting without peak splitting," Optical Engineering Letters, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 2208-2209, October 2004.
10. L.P. Zhao, J. Paul, B.K.A. Ngoi and Z.P. Fang, "Bragg grating temperature sensors: modeling the effect of adhesion of polymeric coatings," Sensor Review, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 364-369, December 2004.