Introduction:Dr Zeng joined SIMTech in 1995 after his PhD from the CUHK in Hong Kong. He has more than 16 years of R & D experience in surface coatings, thin films materials and devices as well as functional bulk materials. As project leader, Dr Zeng has completed more than 20 international collaboration, industry or in-house research projects under various funding support. He has published extensively on thin films and surface coating materials as well as on nanotechnology with more than 120 refereed journal or conference papers, three book chapters and four patents. Dr Zeng actively participates in many professional activities. He has served as a conference chair or technical panel member in international conferences and workshops, been invited for keynote presentations in conferences and technical forums and served as referee for a number of journals and conference proceedings. In 2004, he was invited as a visiting professor working in Tohoku University for six months. Currently, he is the Group Manager of the Surface Technology Group responsible for a team of 26 researchers plus graduate students, which conducts R&D in hybrid composite coatings for various functionalities and thin film devices and systems on display, electronics and photonics using PVD/CVD, sol gel, electro-chemical and thermal spray technologies.
Research Interest:Advanced hybrid composite coatings and surface engineering as well as thin film devices for tribological, functional, electronics, optics/photonics and decorative applications using Physical Vapour Deposition and Chemical Vapour Deposition, sol-gel process, electro-chemical deposition and surface micro-fabrication technologies
BioNotes:1992-1995: PhD in Thin Film Physics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
1984-1987: MSc in Materials Physics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
1978-1982: BSc in Applied Physics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
Publications:1. X. T. Zeng and H.K. Wong, Epitaxial growth of single crystal (La, Ca)MnOd thin films", Appl. Phys. Lett., 66, (1995) pp 3371-3373.
2. X. T. Zeng, H.K. Wong and J.B. Xu, Step flow growth of (La,Ca)MnOd thin films on (110) NdGaO3, Appl. Phys. Lett., 67, (1995) pp 3272-3274.
3. X. T. Zeng and H.K. Wong, Annealing Effect on the giant magnetoresistance of La-Ca-Mn-O thin films", IEEE Trans. Magn., 31, (1995) 3910-3912
4. X. T. Zeng and H.K. Wong, Effects of discharge pressure on the properties of [Ag/Ni]n superlattice prepared by facing-target sputtering, J. Appl. Phys. 79, (1996) pp 6279-6282.
5. X. T. Zeng, Sam Zhang, and Joe Hsieh, Development of Graded Cr-Ti-N Coating, Surface Coating Technology, 102, (1998) pp. 108-112.
6. X. T. Zeng and H.K. Wong, Anisotropic transport properties of single-crystal (La,Ca)MnOd thin films, Appl. Phys. Lett., 72, (1998) pp 740-742
7. X. T. Zeng, TiN/NbN superlattice hard coatings deposited by unbalanced magnetron sputtering, Surf. Coat. Technol., 113, (1999) pp 75-78.
8. X. T. Zeng, Unbalanced magnetron sputtered carbon composite coatings, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A17, (1999) pp 1991-1995.
9. X. T. Zeng, S. Zhang, and T. Muramatsu, Comparison of Three Advanced Hard Coatings for Stamping Applications, Surface Coating Technology, 127 (1) (2000) pp. 38-42
10. C. Q. Sun, et al, Evidence for bond contraction and lone pair interaction at nitride surfaces, J. Appl. Phys. 90, (2001) pp 2615-2617
11. X. T. Zeng, S. Zhang, and L.S. Tan, Multilayered (Ti, Al) Ceramic Coatings for High Speed Machining Applications, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 19 (4) (2001) pp 1919-1922
12. Chang Q. Sun, B. K. Tay, X. T. Zeng, S. Li, T. P. Chen, J. Zhou, H. L. Bai and E. Y. Jiang, “Bond-order-bond-length-bond-strength correlation mechanism for the shape-and-size dependency of a nanosolid”, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 14 (2002) 7781.
13. S. Zhang, et al, Magnetron sputtering of nanocomposite (Ti,Cr)CN/ DLC coatings, Surf. Coat. Technol. 162, (2002) pp 42-48.
14. X.T. Zeng, S. Zhang, X.Z. Ding and D. Teer, Comparison of Three Types of Carbon Composite Coatings with Exceptional Load-bearing Capacity and Wear Resistance, Thin Solid Films, 420-421 (2002) pp. 360-364.
15. Y.S. Huang, X. T. Zeng, I. Annergren and F.M. Liu, Deposition and properties of EN-PTFE-SiC composite coatings”, Surf. Coat. Technol. 167, (2003) pp 207-211.
16. X. T. Zeng, S. Zhang, S. Q. Sun, and Y. C. Liu, “Nanometric-Layered CrN/TiN Thin Films: Mechanical Strength And Thermal Stability”, Thin Solid Films, 424/1 (2003) pp. 99-102.
17. Xing-zhao Ding, X.T. Zeng, Hong Xie “Cubic Boron Nitride Films Deposited by Unbalanced RF Magnetron Sputtering and Pulsed DC Substrate Bias”, Thin Solid Films, 429, (2003) pp 22-27
18. X. Zhang, HJ. Lu, A. M. Soutar, XT. Zeng "Thick UV-patternable Hybrid Sol-gel Films Prepared by Spin Coating", J. Materials Chemistry, 14 (2004) pp 357-361.
19. Y.S. Huang and X.T. Zeng (2004) “Corrosion resistance of electroless nickel composite coatings”, Electrochimica Acta, 49 (2004), 4313-4319
20. X. T. Zeng, Takashi Goto, L.R. Zhao, X. Z. Ding, S.C. Liew, G.Y. Li, “Erosive Wear Properties of Ti-Si-N Nanocomposite Coatings Studied by Micro-Sandblasting”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A23 (2005) 288-292
21. Sam Zhang, Xuan Lam Bui, X.T. Zeng, Xiaomin Li, “Towards high adherent and tough a-C coatings”, Thin Solid Films, 482 (2005) 138-144
22. X. Z. Ding, X. T. Zeng, Y. C. Liu, Q. Yang, L. R. Zhao, “Structure and Mechanical Properties of Ti-Si-N Films Deposited by Combined DC/RF Reactive Unbalanced Magnetron Sputtering”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A22 (6) (2004) 2351-2355.
23. Z. H. Huang, X. T. Zeng, E. T. Kang, Y. H. Fuh and L. Lu, “Ultra Thin TiO2 Hole Injection Layer In OLED”, Surf. Coat. Technol. 198 (2005) 357- 361 <1.41>
24. Linda Y.L. Wu, A.m. Soutar, X.T. Zeng, “Hydrophobic Property of Sol-Gel Hard Coatings”, Surf. Coat. Technol. 198 (2005) 420- 424
25. Xing-zhao Ding, X.T. Zeng and Takashi Goto, “Unbalanced Magnetron Sputtered Ti-Si-N:MoSX Composite Coatings for Improvement of Tribological Properties”, Surf. Coat. Technol. 198 (2005) 432- 436