The Industry Alignment Fund – Industry Collaboration Project (IAF-ICP) supports Public Research Performers in strategic R&D collaborations with industry. The aim is to foster industry-relevant public sector R&D efforts, and Public Research Performers to collaborate with industry, with a line of sight to potential economic outcomes.
This grant is different from typical academic grants, as proposals will be assessed primarily on their potential economic impact and relevance to building up Singapore’s R&D ecosystem:
- Potential to generate product or process innovations to the industry player(s) involved (i.e. improved processes or products);
- Potential to generate higher economic or R&D activity for industry player(s) involved (e.g. through creation of R&D jobs, increased market share, reduced costs, and improved productivity);
- Potential to deepen tech-or-people capabilities in locally based companies (e.g. through upskilling, enhanced training, and development of new IPs);
- Ability to uplift the ecosystem (e.g. by fostering collaborations with other locally based enterprises such as suppliers);
- Level of the industry partner’s commitment to research and innovation in Singapore; and
- Other relevant factors.
The duration of IAF-ICP projects should not exceed 36 months, although exception may be made for Corp Labs (up to 60 months) on a case-by-case basis.
The IAF-ICP is governed by a Strategic Oversight Committee (SOC) comprising CEO A*STAR, MD EDB, ACE ESG and CEO NRF. The SOC makes decisions on all IAF-ICP policies and project approvals.
IAF-ICP is open to all Public Research Institutions in Singapore.
Companies are not eligible, nor will they be considered as co-applicants.
All applications are to be submitted by the Public Research Institutions – applications submitted directly by individual researchers will not be accepted.
Proposals seeking up to S$25M: One-Stage Full Proposal
A one-stage evaluation will be implemented for proposals seeking up to S$25M (inclusive of overheads). Public Research Institutions can submit their Full Proposal (template below) directly to the Implementing Agency.
Proposals seeking more than S$25M: Two-Stage LOI and Full Proposal
Proposals seeking more than S$25M (inclusive of overheads) will be required to first submit their Letter of Intent (template below). Upon review by the SOC Agencies, the Implementing Agency will notify the applicant on whether to proceed to develop a Full Proposal.
Please click here to download the relevant documents for your proposal submission:
- Letter of Intent Template (only for applications seeking >S$25M; please complete and submit in editable PowerPoint format)
- Full Proposal Template, ICP Budget Template and Submission Checklist (please complete and submit in editable Word and Excel format)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Guidelines for Demonstrating Actualisation of Industry Contributions
- A*STAR T&Cs 2020
- A*STAR Grant Guidelines 2020
Application is accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. Please submit your applications directly to the Implementing Agency at <IAF_ICP@a-star.edu.sg> using the templates provided.
All submissions must be endorsed by the Research Office and the Innovation & Enterprise Office (or Technology Transfer Office) of each Institution involved in the collaboration.
Applicants may be requested to submit supporting documents and/or clarifications.