This module covers metal powder fabrication as feedstock for powder-bed 3D AM systems and the powder characteristics critical for AM processing. Also addressed in the module are the key powder-bed metal AM processes, for example Selective Laser Melting (SLM), Electron Beam Melting (EBM) and metal binder jetting technologies, to manufacture complex functional metallic parts. The industrial applications and relevant post-processing of such AM metallic components will also be shared with industrial case studies.
What You Will Learn
This course allows participants to learn about the powder-bed metal additive manufacturing technologies to fabricate complex functional metallic components. Participants gain understanding of the entire process flow (pre- and post-processing) that is critical for additive manufactured components. With the guidance of experts in additive manufacturing, participants also get hands-on experience on binder jet printing, selective laser melting, electron beam melting, and learn to conduct quality assessment of additive manufactured parts.
Contents covered in this module include:
- Overview of powder-bed additive manufacturing (AM) of metals and their applications
- Metal powder production methods and characterisation
- Process and hardware for BJP, SLM and EBM
- Practical lab sessions on three powder-bed metal AM technologies (BJP, SLM and EBM)
- Quality assessment of AM parts
- Project work on metal powder-bed AM technologies